View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
sl2eggplant
Aspiring EcoModder

Eggy - '99 Saturn SL2
90 day: 43.7 mpg (US)
Thanks CFG. My goal was to create a flat area to cover up everything. I was trying to effectively lower the car while allowing the assembly to sustain high temps, hence I chose wood over coroplast. Hopefully it will pay off ... knock on wood!! What I did was bolt on a 2x4x7 stud to each of the two protruding beam-like things under the car The studs go from the engine to the back where the suspension cuts it off. Next, I laid up some wooden boards. The belly pan follows the layout of the "belly" except it is about 2 inches lower.

To answer your question (I think). Yes, the bottom of the side skirt (when they get installed) will the bottom of the belly pan. This was my attempt to achieve two things ... (1) force the air to follow along the side of the car and (2) reduce the effect of cross winds. I could have put an angle on the sides so the cross winds can flow gently under the car, but it wouldn't mesh well with my side skirts when they get installed.

I don't think I am compressing the air significantly anymore that it was already getting compressed by the stock belly. The angles on the front and rear bumper are the stock angles. I just laid the wood boards to cover them up.

You can see that some parts are not even ... those are will get fixed when I find a few hinges to connect various boards that do not meet at the same level.

Also, attached are my planned side skirts for both front and rear wheels, and a better picture of the front showing the belly pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side view 2.1.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	6239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view 2.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	6240  

Last edited by sl2eggplant; 06-24-2010 at 10:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to sl2eggplant For This Useful Post:
cfg83 (06-25-2010)