Thread: Super MPGuino?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #95 (permalink)
gtkid2002
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
Life! I have a button!

After a long while of this thing sitting, and switching between a car with no VSS (My 1980 Fiat) and a car that's a year before OBD-II (the '95 Prelude that I hate), I've finally started playing with this again.

And this time I got somewhere.

After looking at the schematics, I tried swapping the standard button pin with a bunch of other pins. Digital pins in the low 90's, 60's and 50's. Nothing worked. But when I waited a while, the screen would dim. Then I accidentally touched the INJ IN wire, and it registered.

Huh.

So I tried putting the button pin on PWM pin 0. And I got it to move!

Now if I recall correctly, I can switch some of the higher digital pins to PWM with some added code. If that's the case, I'm just going to try that. Otherwise I might have to go to a serial screen and then use the rest of the PWM pins.

For the time being though, I'm just going to use the remaining 4 PWM pins, and see how that goes.

----------------LATER------------------

Okay, I've soldered in the pins. And I can only move the underscore to the right. None of the other buttons work. Doesn't matter what I tell which button should be controlled by 0, I can only scroll right.

I put it on pin TX3 or 14 on the COMM area, adjust the PCINT just below the button input, and even if it's the "middle" button, it still scrolls right. In fact when I do this, it only scrolls right untill I press the button. I've got charts for the Arduino mega, but not the Seeeduino mega. I'm not sure if it;s just that unpopular or if it's still too new. But I am still fighting this. I'm gonna try switching the INJ with the VSS and see where that gets me.

A futile attempt later...
Nowhere. Touching the wire only gets GPH to twitch, reguardless on whether it's set to be INJ or VSS.

I really hate to scrap this project, but something isn't working right, and I'm not talented enough to know what's going on. If I can find a use for the microcontroller besides this, I'll scrap it and stick it in my solar backpack. In which case the thread can be locked or left open if someone else wants to take over it. I'm just about done with this though. It's easier to just go out and buy a complete MPGuino and just install it that way.

So if anybody wants to trade me an MPGuino for a Seeeduino mega and screen with some solder on them and a bad wiring job that can easily be undone, send me a PM.

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)