View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
gone-ot
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgx2 View Post
Ok... you trumped me on the maths.. lol

Thanks for helping out with some equations... :-)
...ironically, I found MORE useful information about evaporative coolers (aka: swamp coolers) from the Aussie websites than from USA websites!

...it gets hot here in Tucson (117°F record) and Phoenix (122°F record), AZ, but Australia is definitely HOTTER...at least according to "Crocodile Dundee" (ha,ha)!

...back during the OPEC oil embargo, I tried water-vapor injection (ala' "bong" for the engine) using both plain water as well as water-alcohol, but never achieved ANY true success...and, eventually, finally ended up with burnt exhaust valves for my multitude of 'testing' efforts.

...at that time, I was working for the USArmy Automotive-Tank Command in Yuma, AZ, at their Yuma Proving Ground...and was able to "try" LOT's of different things...with access and usage of ALL the appropriate equipment, including thermocouples (temperature), manometers (manifold pressure), prony-brake chassis dynamometer (rear wheel HP), and 5th-wheels (speed) on the 2.2 mile test track (during lunchtime).

...needless to say, I attracted LOTs of curious "lookie-louie" people, from electrical engineers thru nuclear engineers, but it was the mechnical engineers who shook their heads and said, "...no way son..."--and, sadly, they were right. Two burnt valves (on a four cylinder Pinto 1.6L FOB engine) ultimately convinced me they were correct.

...I finally, ended up, "...doing it..." (achieving MPG) the old-fashioned way, by doing things mechanically: front chin spoiler, lower gears (3.55 down to 3.18), electronic ignition (vs. breaker points), and headers (long, long, 4-tubes) and free-flow muffler. Got her from 24 mpg up to 36 mpg.

Last edited by gone-ot; 06-29-2010 at 09:48 AM..