Thread: Electrocharger
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Achtung
Pickup Driver *gasp!*

Charlie - '97 Chevrolet 1500 Pickup W/T
90 day: 24.14 mpg (US)
Electrocharger

Hey guys!

While cruising around on the internet looking for possible ways to increase the efficiency of my truck, I found this electrocharger

I searched the forums for anything on this, but I didn't find much. What are your thoughts? Good? Bad? Ugly? Anyone know of anybody using something like this that's a retrofit? I suppose it basically turns a vehicle into a hybrid, right? Except that it's an after-market product.

My first concern is... Does it actually increase FE? Looking at the site, they seem to push the performance bonuses of it more than efficiency. I'm guessing the only FE bonus would come from its regenerative braking. Also along that line of thought, if I were to install this on my truck, how would I rig it to charge the battery pack when I brake, since it's a retrofit type deal and not a factory install? How would this affect ABS?

All this is speculative for me, any major mods I do to my truck are a few years away once I'm done schooling. Keep in mind that while I have a good understanding of how everything in a vehicle works, I wouldn't call myself an expert in automotive mechanics. As well, I'm new to ecomodders so I'm not familiar with some of the the eco-lingo

Last edited by Achtung; 04-06-2008 at 12:49 AM..