View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Aptera had to stop 3 times to cool something under the hood. Edison2 had to several cooling stops on one of their cars, too (they ran with different cooling systems, to try things out). Edison2 loaned one of their water sprayers to Aptera. I did not hear that Aptera had not completed the penalty lap (I think it simply adds to the energy consumption) and I heard from several of the Aptera guys (later in the same restaurant) that they had passed.

Aptera only entered the one vehicle. They should have entered an older design prototype as well, in hindsight!

And yes, just the Illuminati and the two Edison2 mainstream cars are left. (The West Philly mainstream Focus hybrid with the Harley engine sounded pretty rough: it sqealed in EV mode, and sounded quite constricted when the Harley was running.)

The interesting thing is that the Illuminati and the Edison2 cars are a study in contrasts: weight difference is huge, pure EV vs pure ICE, homegrown vs professional, one entry vs four...

They have good aero drag in common -- and they are both there for the same reasons: to build as efficient a car as possible! We need to keep this in mind, I think? All the teams are there for the right reasons, IMO.

I will be writing a synopsis as soon as I can, and I will post a copy here. I got home last night, driving the ~825+ miles back to Massachusetts yesterday...] I've uploaded a bunch more pictures: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
gone-ot (06-27-2010)