View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
brucey
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
I'd also only recommend it if you know it's clear up ahead, of course.

For city driving (where I can only do 24 or so during daytime traffic.. at night I can get 30 assuming I can catch the lights right) my usual method is:

From a stop, make sure it's clear, accelerate somewhat briskly (The trans will shift about 3000~3500 rpm) to about 32 mph and let the transmission shift into 4th and lock the torque converter. Try to hold that as gently as possible if it's a long stretch... OR Put it in neutral if I know I can coast to the next stop, if there is traffic I'll try not to get too low under the limit for courtesy sake.

If you give it too much gas (nearly floored) it will change the fuel trim and go into a more rich burn for about a minute before going back to its normal mixture.

We've both got the 4EAT, so I assume yours is very similar. The gearing (Mine is 4.444) is probably the only difference. So just try and find out how low you can get the torque converter to lock up in 4th. (The rpms will stop varying with throttle and the car will buck a bit more while accelerating, like in a manual car)

RobertSmalls: Yeah, I know what you mean. At my normal cruising speed (55~60) I'm around 2500 rpm, so between that and the 4.444 final drive I think I have plenty of power to make up a few extra pounds.