View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
azaviator
EcoModding Lurker

Interstellar Clowncar - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 68.91 mpg (US)

The Beast - '92 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4D 4x4 Tahoe
Last 3: 15.02 mpg (US)

The Beast 2.0 - '99 Chevy Suburban LS
90 day: 17.54 mpg (US)
A few months ago I went to the Grand Canyon with my daughter. As I walked back to the car when we were about to leave, I noticed the family parked next to us was congregating at the rear of their minivan. I strapped my daughter in, put the windows down and, as I always do if there is a slight incline, I let the Insight roll back out of the spot without starting the engine. I was keeping my head out the window to make sure none of the kids next to us ran behind me and, as my head passed the rear liftgate of the minivan, I heard the mom say to me, "That's creepy!! You can't even hear it!".

I got a chuckle out of it, but I can kind of understand the other side of the story. As a 'silent' driver, I am very vigilant to be sure I don't sneak up on people. But I would be PISSED if I was REQUIRED to put a noisemaker on my car.

On a side note, my car has an upgraded horn (Honda Element horn = 2x louder or more) and an aftermarket air-horn, for those times when someone needs to know that I'm there. But I CHOSE to put them on, and I CHOOSE when to use them.