View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #51 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post

You shut off half the cylinders and that improved fe?
A simplistic statement for a slightly more complex procedure. I put in a switch that disconnected the ground to half the injectors, which I would activate when low power was needed, even at idle. It would be gutless, but had the power to move the truck and could even maintain cruise on a flat road. Problem was, the o2 sensor read a "lean" condition and the injectors on the running side were pumping in way too much fuel, causing excess fuel to wash into the oil pan--bad news. So I disconnected it.

If I were to reroute the exhaust piping so only one side was read by the o2 sensor it might actually work as desired. If I also separated the intake and had the comp only read one side of the engine I'm sure it would work. Even considering the extra fuel being dumped into the running side I used less fuel per tank. I got an extra 2-3 mpg regularly (I was getting an average of 15) and one tank of nearly 20 mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.