View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
I've had an almost full under-body smoothing panels since last fall, and have not noticed any high temperatures on the car.

I did make a few engineering decisions however:

1) Since my panels are made from foam, check the surfaces of these items in high heat areas and look for excess temperatures.
2) Cover the first cat con inside the engine compartment with fiberglass batting.
2a) This causes the cat con to get up to temperature quicker (more efficient).
2b) It also keeps under hood temps down, almost to the same level as no smoothing panels. This was confirmed in winter driving where the Insight engine looses heat very easily.
2c) The batting is important, as it has a high R-value and keeps heat away from things you don't want to get hot.
2d) If you use batting on the under-side of the car, keep moisture away from it, as rain will reduce the effectiveness tremendously.
2e) Paint things with white colored paint to help maintain the heat inside the emitter or to reflect the emitted heat away from objects. Black-body radiation theory mentions that black objects absorb heat easier than light colors.
2f) Cover things with tin-foil, which again causes the heat to be reflected from the hot object, even better than white paint. This is one reason you do not want to chrome plate your engine!! Think custom motorcycle engines!

No place on the car has shown melted aluminum or even melted foam. Foam distorts at 250°F.

Aerocivic has had a belly pan longer than I, again with no heat related issues.

This shows that a belly pan can indeed made to work, and may take some preparation up front to consider all the options that you have available.

Just my $.02

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 06-28-2010 at 01:30 PM..