View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
I certainly understand not wanting more noise pollution, a genuine concern.

But I see pedestrian safety as a huge concern (i.e. life or death). It isn't their choice when someone blows a light and hits them, even though the walk signal says go. How many times are driver and pedestrian both not paying attention to the right things anyway?
You have just proven the point that traffic control devices don't protect anyone if people don't pay attention to them. Adding more controls (restrictions and mandated equipment) really doesn't increase anyone's being safe.

Quote:
Stuff happens, a bit of noise might keep a kid from running out in the street, whatever.
No "stuff" does not just "happen". We live in a society where the passive voice ('mistakes were made') is frequently used, especially by politicians and the media, to deflect responsibility for one's actions. People make mistakes. Mistakes don't just "happen".

Quote:
I can drive the city without my headlights off and reduce light pollution. So I should be allowed to do so, right?
Tell it to the cop who tickets you. The analalogy is pointless.

OTOH, should we make daytime running lights mandatory? (If I were a headlight manufacturer it would be in my interest to lobby for that to become law.)