View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
NachtRitter -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
Carlos -

Really enjoyed this thread... I am adopting the idea for my VX.

Question for you... did you end up getting another water heater pan for the material you used for the 'cover piece'? Or did you use some other material altogether?
Yes, I retired v1.0 and bought two new pans. There is a 1" overlap of the pans. There is a little "belly button" of plastic at the dead center of the drain pan where I think the plastic was injected. My friend made that the center point and we nailed it down onto a board. Then we ran each pan through his band saw by turning it around that center point. That was the key to cutting it accurately. Otherwise it would have been agony to cut by hand.

I had pictures of the process, but I can't find them right now. Here is the picture of the overlapping pieces before I made the holes :

Apart :

Overlapping :

Also, I didn't have to retire v1.0. I could have just cut it and used it as the trim piece that you see. However, then the circular cut would have been more problematic (allthough still doable). Also, the covering doesn't have to be plastic, it could be metal. The trim piece is just the "base".

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society