View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 04:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
caliber
EcoModding Lurker

SubObs - '00 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
90 day: 29.4 mpg (US)
2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

Hi everyone! I am very new to this hypermiling/ecomodding scene and I'm very excited about what I am learning. The reason why I stumbled upon this forum and the art of hypermiling itself is because of being unsatisfied with my overall mpg for my Subaru. My best tank as I can recall was 26.5ish mpg (99% highway miles). My worst tank was about 20 mpg.

Even though I've always wanted to, I never recorded it somewhere like fuelly.com. However I can confidently say I average about 24-25 mpg in my Subaru. My previous vehicle was older, larger, heavier, had a bigger engine and averaged almost the same as my newer car. (I'm sure part of this is due to AWD...maybe?)

The first thing I have done after browsing this forum was change the way I drive. The tips I've learned here are amazing. My gas tank light meter in my car has 5 notches, top and bottom represent F and E, respectively, and I have 3 middle notches. A typical tank would get me about 350 miles, 360 if I'm lucky. After only changing the way I drive, I'm on the last (4th) notch from the bottom, and only have about 330 miles...very exciting. I actually started changing the way I drive after driving 90 miles after my last fill-up, so I can imagine the results I can possibly obtain from a fresh full tank. My current goal for this current tank is 400 miles, and my current mpg goal is 30.

I look forward to learning more from you all!