View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #24 (permalink)
azaviator
EcoModding Lurker

Interstellar Clowncar - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 68.91 mpg (US)

The Beast - '92 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4D 4x4 Tahoe
Last 3: 15.02 mpg (US)

The Beast 2.0 - '99 Chevy Suburban LS
90 day: 17.54 mpg (US)
Bringing my previous story back into the discussion, I was actively watching as I backed up because I was aware of the dangers of small children playing in the parking lot. Should they have been playing in the parking lot? Their parents seemed to think so!!

I don't believe that laws are written for the greater good of the many, I believe they are written to replace common sense for those who choose not to use it.

Common sense dictates that a parking lot should not be used as a 'park'.

If I am a pedestrian and I CHOOSE to walk into the street, I am aware that I may be struck by a car, no matter how loud or quiet it is. My momma told me "Always look both ways before crossing the street". She never said "Listen out for cars". Though the argument could be that she was telling me to PAY ATTENTION, using all methods available to me.

If I am in a car, and I leave the road to enter a parking lot, I understand that there is a greater chance that a pedestrian may be on the sidewalk or in that parking lot, so I adjust my speed and scan accordingly.

It is pretty easy to determine if an area (road, sidewalk, parking lot) was designed for a vehicle, or a pedestrian. If it wasn't designed for your current mode of transport, then BE CAREFUL! Use COMMON SENSE!!! Learn to assess risk.

Don't create a new law to make people MORE complacent!!