View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dr. Jerryrigger
EcoModding Apprentice

The Sh*t-Box - '99 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
90 day: 27.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber View Post
@Dr. Jerryrigger: I have an automatic so I don't feel too comfortable with P&G. As for miles, I have just about 87000 +/- 100 miles. I actually bought it earlier this year when it had 82000 (exactly =P). My tires are currently max PSI. I'm due for an oil change now so I'll be sure to get synthetic, and I just had my transmission fluid replaced right after I bought the car. I have not yet taken the roof rack off because I plan on using it for bikes, however I probably will take it off right before it starts raining again.
It looks like you changed your hood to a non OBS hood...yess? I was thinking about that last night, but I really like the way the (unfortunately non-functional) hood scoop looks. It is something to consider in the future.
I also have an AT. P&G takes some getting used to with an AT but is quite possible. When going from N to D wile moving I like to gently press the throttle so the RPM's match what they will be in gear at that speed, like you would with a manual before letting out the clutch.
But with out P&G you should be able to get 28 highway with out any problem. I drive at about 58-60mph when it's safe to do so and can reliably get 28. Even at 65-70 I get about the same. I have the added motivation to keep it slow because of an oil leak. When the RPM's get up to about 3K, it leaks a lot faster, and onto my exhaust manifold, so when I stop I find myself in a cloud of oil smoke.
I do have the non-OBS hood. People ether seem to love the look of those scoops or hate them, I'm the latter, but to each there own. I wouldn't mined it so much if it acutely had some purpose.I didn't do the swap, just before I bout it some one stole the original one off it, right out of the auto body shop parking lot.... according to the car salesman.....
I still have my roof rack on, and I'm not sure if I'll remove it. It's nice knowing it's there if I need it. I actually cant remember using it in the two years I've had the car, with the exception of one xmass tree. But with my first car, a 92 Legacy sedan, I was consistently using the roof rack for random junk. That was an aftermarket rack, which I found far more functional, but was much less aerodynamic.
I feel like if I take it off the next day I'll see the most beautiful furniture on the side of the road, that is just a little too big to fit inside. I might still have the roof rack from the Legacy in my parents basement. If I do I think I'll take off the sock one, and keep the aftermarket one inside the car (it goes on in less than 10 min).