View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #197 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Got the replacement windshield installed today. No lexan - I want it to be (somewhat) street legal. In an ironic and convenient twist of fate, hoods and fenders are on sale for 12.99 this weekend at the salvage yard (yay!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageX
Also, Front-hinged hoods FTW.
I knew I recognized that name DamageX. Welcome to EM! I hope you find some things other than this project interesting. (@Christ - this was one of the BMW nerds I was talking to you about - no offense, we're all nerds here. 'cept for me.)

I think it would be pretty cool to fashion a front hinged bonnet for this car like a bimmer, but meh...probably cheaper to get pins or some kind of homebrew failsafe. I'm never going to close a hood again without testing it.

As for the slowness up hills: Darin, I remember driving the flea on completely flat roadway and asking it for more throttle in 5th - absolutely no response. The difference with mine is that it actually will respond and try just slightly on flat ground, but as soon as there is any kind of incline, it just really sh!ts the bed . I think it's really worth looking into timing - seems like it's maybe a tooth off because the middle of the torque curve is more than adequate , which is a rare utterance in reference to similar motors.

More updates as I get a new hood, another ECT sensor to satiate the CEL, pop in a different radiator that doesn't have a slow leak, hopefully get it inspected, and so on. The saga continues - maybe a video will be in store!