View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Given the vehicle lengths dropping the rear bumper 2" would raise the front bumper 0.4" and change the rake less than a single degree. Honestly a 4" drop would make it easier to load/unload the bed and definitely the ladder racks and a 2" drop is really all I can get out of the front. The hood would stay in positive pressure, might have to check the wipers. Its hard to tell if the roof of the cab peaks in the front or middle, its relatively flat. I think the undercarriage would be presented with the undertray. I think even with the body dropped the axles are still the lowest point.

I just realized that the back is always sagging down bad from the constant load lol. Its already lowered. I think i should add a leaf or a helper spring, especially since i plan on adding a few hundred more pounds. I think supercars are raked for downforce more than anything.

Do you ever have problems with snow or dirt flying up through the gaps around the wheel wells or in front of the axles and filling up the cavity above and weighing down on the undertray? Ever have any problem with vertical undertray components when they'r pushing through deepish snow either driving forward reverse or turning?
If you do the drop,you might consider some time to familiarize yourself with anything new and quirky which might show up in handling.
I had air-shocks on an El Camino and they were great for load leveling.Something like that,or air springs might help with load stabilization when she's buried in pipe or tubing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have experienced material buildup on top of the pan,as I've never invested the extra time to detail out the wheel wells.After a good rain,I can usually chase everything out with a blast from the garden hose.
I've never had a clearance issue with the pan until the floodwater,when I struck a submerged hazard and it rip the diffuser off.And it struck me that the racing tires were partly responsible for that,as the truck rides a little lower.
The times I've driven in snow,traffic had already knocked down significant accumulations so it wasn't an issue.My pan is pretty strong and could support quite a 'load' and doesn't deform.The leading section is the fiberglass skin from a Mustang trunklid and is radiused well,not a 'snagger.'
If you're 'trail-blazing' on un-plowed streets or roads in heavy snow,you'll have to be mindfull of clearance.