View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I would be wary of blocking the lower grille on a CVT equipped Altima.

If you restrict the airflow to the transmission cooler it could eventually damage the transmission. Nissan recently extended the transmission warranty on all of their CVT equipped cars to 10 years and 120,000 miles. If they find consistent overheating of the fluid, they might not honor the warranty. Since the transmission can not presently be rebuilt and replacement is the only option, costing thousands, I don't think the risk is justified.

Nissans CVTs will stay at low revs and keep the engine at higher BSFC points than just about any other transmission on the market. Our Rogue will do 60 at 1900 RPM. Thats 90 at under 3k RPM if the aero drag did not cause the transmission to allow the engine to rev higher.

I have seen 35 MPG in our 06 Murano which has about the same setup as the Altima, and another member here has done better than 40 MPG in a 3.5 Altima. I once managed 33.25 in the wife's Rogue on a trip for a whole tank, and a lot of that was in heavy rain. Probably could have hit 35 MPG. This was at 55-60 MPH.

I love the 07 and up Altima platform, same basic chassis as the Rogue. I'm considering a 4 cylinder Altima as a possible replacement for one of my cars, so the wife is more comfortable driving when we take my car.

I wonder what the CD is on a factory Altima?

regards
Mech