View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Most of my driving is in flat terrain and P&G has helped me use less fuel. I haven't done an A-B-A-B test to compare P&G vs steady speed, but it is in my plans. Aeromods and higher tire pressure definitely help your glide in flat terrain, they also allow you to keep a steady coast down slight inclines where previously you would lose speed. Win-win.

I'm not sure if I remember the exact reason for this correctly, but here is what's floating around in my head:
My engine consumes 0.5 liters of fuel per hour (8.3 milliliters per minute) when idling. Coasting down from 70 km/h to 50 km/h takes about 10 seconds. Accelerating from 50 km/h to 70 km/h registers as roughly 8.5 lph (142 mlpm) and takes about 5 seconds. So, one pulse/glide cycle takes 15 seconds and uses 11.83+1.38=13.21 ml of fuel, or 52.84 mlpm (3.17 lph). Driving at a steady 60 km/h registers at about 3.5 lph.

I used semi-random numbers just for illustration, I don't have the actual data, but those numbers look right. The longer you coast compared to the pulse, the better the results. Downhill and/or lower speeds is where P&G is best, flat terrain is still good, unless you're driving a brick on the highway. Groar once remarked that P&G-ing at highway speeds (above 90 km/h, 55mph) is pointless, same goes for hill climbing.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 03-21-2011 at 06:41 AM..