View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
I have done plenty of research on the Gimmicks and will continue to call them such as long as they are misapplied by people.

I give you that in rare situations these may have a net gain effect and I stated such. So besides the Mitsubishi test (Which I'm well aware of) on a shape that was ideally suited to the possibility of using the Gimmicks for net gain....Can you name me 5 other effective tests, not produced by the makers of the Gimmicks in question, where the Gimmicks create a net gain in fuel efficiency? Can you name 1 test where these were placed on the leading edge of a shape for net fuel efficiency gain? Put the links here I'd love to see them.

I am not talking about reducing lift anywhere here. I am saying these Gimmicks do not reduce drag unless properly applied in rare cases. Heck, ANYTHING will reduce lift! For Peets sake. At what cost do we reduce lift??? Drag & Fuel Efficiency.

And you bring Aeronautics into it....duh....airplanes are not cars, different sets of rules altogether. Of course there are a multitude of applications for Properly Applied Gimmicks, stall strips, spoilers, and air fences to be used on aircraft and racing, none of these have anything to do with net efficiency gains in fuel mileage, they are for control.

Sharp & rounded edges on cars are huge elements not 2 inch square things sticking up on the skin in 4 places. In particular, the gross airflow and positive pressures on the front of a car are really less inclined to be improved on by any sort of Gimmick application.

For someone who knows as much as you AeroModder, you should know that in most cases, the application of Vortex Generators is a waste of time and money. They are nothing more than Tornado Intake devices in a more visible location. Read the multitude of posts right here in EcoModder that state this exact thing. I'm just being point blank about it cause I'm tired of people who put up fairy tales as fact. Sorry if that offends you.