View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
It takes some practice to get this bike off from a light at a speed that does not frustrate other drivers. More like a WOT drag race, but to be expected when you are pushing 500 pounds with 12 horsepower.

Nice thing around here is many of the roads have bike paths on the shoulder, so you have an additional escape route if someone swerves into your lane.

I have had it to 62 MPH on a flat stretch, which seems to be about as fast as it will go. Very toss able with excellent brakes. Drove over 240 miles over the last 3 days. By the end of today I will probably get another fuel refill to see what the mileage looks like.

Thinking about selling the Insight and keeping this bike and my VX. Haven't driven the Insight in a week.

Funny thing is it seems like people are less prone to tailgating you on a bike. Maybe it's 6feet and 205 pounds, and the snow white goatee that gives them the impression that some respect might be appropriate.

Loads of fun and so far not even a single close encounter of the moron kind. I guess my driving techniques are a factor, since I already assumed stupidity was the norm on the roads around here.

Its fun to cruise at lower speeds. Coasting still works fine when the light ahead is red, but I think pulse and glide is a waste with the aero drag. Other bikers seem to think I will abandon the Kawa for a bigger bike shortly, but after driving the Insight and VX for over 55,000 miles, I am getting used to lower levels of acceleration, and the changes in driving technique you must employ when you can't just mash the gas and blast out of harms way.

New battery, oil change, headlight adjustment, and the power is improving as I get used to the dynamics of a small displacement engine.

Think I'll go wax the painted surfaces .

regards
Mech