View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan150cc View Post

In response to BDG73, There is a lot to be said for Per Passenger Miles Per Gallon (PPMPG). I mean, anyone can argue that a Prius with 4 people is more efficient than 4 separate motorcycles. (The Prius would get ~160PPMPG while the motos still only gets ~60PPMPG) But, the fact of the matter remains that people in the US still favor the individual commute to work.

It's very rare to see more than one person in a car on any given day...except maybe Sunday. Ever notice how many fewer cars are on the road on Sunday mornings. You can blame poor attendance or lack of faith but some of it has to do with what happens to congestion if people would just carpool.
Per Person MPG...I like that one! Until recently I carpooled quite a bit to work, actually, more like almost exclusively. Now I'm back to going to work alone, and I'm having to do it in my 20 mpg minivan. Lucky for me it's less than 10 miles one way, which makes me want for a moped or motorcycle.

But the PPMPG would give me 140 ppmpg on my minivan fairly consistently, as we use it mainly to haul the family around (there are 7 of us all together, my wife and I and 5 girls.)

When I carpooled with my buddy, our PPMPG would be 60, and when i rode a 70 passenger bus to school, the ppmpg would have been 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.