View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
trikkonceptz
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Tank vs. Tankless Water Heater Questions

I have been researching the tankless water heater systems lately. Now if you go by all the propaanda written by the manufacturers they usually lean towards the tankless heaters being more efficient.

However, here is my question, I have run a tank system on a timer for a long time. Basically the timer has a bunch of off switches all at 15 min intervals. I have found out that my tank takes less than that to bring the water back up to temperature and allows for me and the mrs to shower with hot water, do laundry, etc.

I am getting ready to construct a home and will have the window to decide on individual tankless heaters at point of use or a large tank heater for a growing family. My concern is which is worse, 15 minutes to reheat a tank or 15 minutes of water being heated by the tankless ...

Anyone have data to help me figure this out?

And my immediate concern is not the rush of cold water coming from the tank but the energy needed to sustain a 15 minute shower or a more wasteful bath.

Thanks

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???