View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Google tank vs tankless water heaters and it should be a very informative read. I would steer clear of the propaganda sites and stick with the various reviews from average Joes.

But I would consider Laurentiu 's advise and consider a solar heater with a tank heater backup. I do know the electric tankless require a ton of instantaneous electric (to the tune of 14kW) for a larger house, and the gas tankless is nearly even in efficiency to a gas tanked heater, giving you a ROI of nearly 22 years according to one article i read. There are also water heaters that make use of otherwise wasted heat from your heat pump, which I'm certain you'll be using in Florida.

OMG I just found out about a great combo, a tank water heater that uses a heat pump! I'd heard about the ones that use the heat from the home heat pump, but here's one that is a stand alone system. A heat pump is inherently more efficient than a resistance coil in that it simply moves heat from one point to the other. This site from the Energy Star site mentions that it is most efficient if put in a hot area of the house (can we say attic?) because it puts out cooler air as a byproduct. (can we say stick it in the garage for a cooler garage??!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.