View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
wyatt
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Swap XFi engine for current I4?

I have been doing my own work on my car whenever possible. I have a 1994 Suzuki Swift with a 1.3L engine and a 5MT. I recently found a person within a couple hours of my house that has a 1994 Geo Metro XFi that he is parting out. It has 194,000 miles, which seems like a lot to me, and has me asking myself (now you) some questions...
  • How long do XFi engines tend to run? They said it is running perfectly, but it does have almost 200,000 on the engine.
  • What kind of FE boost would I see? 10%? 15%? Less/more? With the current I4 1.3L engine I routinely get 50mpg+ to work and back with nice weather. Would a swap to a I3 1.0L engine make that much of a difference?
  • What is the horsepower rating on the XFi? I am currently "boasting" 70HP and 70pounds of torque, I am sure the new engine would feel less peppy, especially on the hills...
  • I have around 172,000 on my engine, so I would probably keep running it until something happened, then make the change. Would it be a big job to swap then engines? I imagine they share most of the same mounting points, but my current engine has an extra cylinder, so would I need to acquire/fab mounting brackets?
  • How much does an XFi engine weigh? I would be transporting it in my car... which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to unload it alone.
  • I can also buy the transmission, worth the buy? My Swift already has the tallest gears... it would just be a spare I guess, unless I could mess with the gearing in my current transmission...
Thanks in advance!