View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #33 (permalink)
miket
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
miket,the full skirt was for proof of concept.It was 'fixed' and did limit the wheels range of motion,although not much of a problem.
The 'final' skirts will attach to pantograph/hinged parallelogram mechanism which allows the tire sidewall to engage inline skate rollers attached to the mechanism,swinging it out and up to clear the 'steering' wheel,then stow flush against the fender when centered.
In HUCHO's book you should find a great inflatable design by Fachsenfeld,done for Omnibus at FKFS around 1936.
I dont quite understand. I would think that a pantagraph would be used if you wanted the skirt to pivot at the front edge or the back edge when the wheel turns outward but if the skirt swings upwards instead then a simple hinge at the top would do.

I find it interesting in huchos book p184 he dismisses eliminating the rear wheel arches because of it only having less than .01cd improvment even on a streamlined vehicle.

The inflatable boatail on p456 has an underside that is rounded with much steeper angles than 4deg?

Is 6959958 the patent you were refering earlier to on semis?