View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
pantagraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
I dont quite understand. I would think that a pantagraph would be used if you wanted the skirt to pivot at the front edge or the back edge when the wheel turns outward but if the skirt swings upwards instead then a simple hinge at the top would do.

I find it interesting in huchos book p184 he dismisses eliminating the rear wheel arches because of it only having less than .01cd improvment even on a streamlined vehicle.

The inflatable boatail on p456 has an underside that is rounded with much steeper angles than 4deg?

Is 6959958 the patent you were refering earlier to on semis?
miket,my setup provides for the skirt to remain always parallel to the side of the vehicle,moving away and up as the steering tire/wheel moves off center.
There are 4-links,to which 8-pivots,4 at the attachment to the wheel arch,high and low,and also 4 at the carrier framework,high and low ,to which the molded skirt attaches.
A roller,fore and aft on the inside frame is what is contacted by the turning wheel,displacing the frame/skirt until re-centered.
I don't have any materials with me,so I'll have to wait to respond to Hucho's comment on wheel arches.A casual thought would be that for any 'low-drag' car,the arch would be superflous,as it would be hidden behind a streamlining skirt.
I'll have to re-visit Hucho to look at the inflated tail.I hope we have the same book!
The one I like best,I'm pretty sure is from Baron R.von Fachsenfeld around 1936,that he did for Omnibus at FKFS.I have a U.S.Patent which is similar to it,I'll have to ferret that out.