View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #37 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
pivots/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
I would need to see a picture to understand exactly what you described. I do see the advantage of going up like that instead of a simple hinge on top because the bottom edge of the fairing wouldn"t swing out much farther than the wheel. As a practical matter how do you make the pivots?

I was interpreting what hucho meant by elimination of the rear wheel arches he meant no arch around the wheel well just a flat across fairing? I have the fourth edition of aerodynamics of road vehicles. The Fachsenfeld is what i was refering to, the bottom of the boat tail curved almost as much as the top curved down.

I have concerns with a totally solid hub cap concerning brake cooling and snow buildup. Obviously not at the same time lol. Tundras have been know to warp rotors. Solid hubcaps might prevent snow from getting in from the outside but all the snow that gets in from the inside might not be able to get out.
miket,I almost had your questions addressed yesterday,then computer crashed before I could enter.( we think Verizon FIOS is the new term for FECES ).I'll take your questions one at a time in case the computer is looking for a repeat performance.
The pivot point 'outers' are created from steel C-channel welded to the outside of the fixed-frame and inside of the floating-frame.
The frames are joined by 4-steel tube double-T-bone links,through which hinge- pins are inserted and secured,creating the pivot articulation.
The floating-frame simply dangles from the 4 links,and it is in this position that the skirt is fitted and secured by Zeus fasteners