View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The front really isn't as important as the back to be honest. Relatively small changes to the radius transition from the bumper cover to the hood keep the airflow attached. The same can be said for the transition between the bumper cover and underside (assuming your using a bellypan) and sides of the vehicle.

If you post some pictures we can recommend some things probably.
I dunno. In aircraft (especially sailplane) design, the nose contour and texture is quite critical, as buggered airflow there means the rest of the plane is moving into already turbulent and detached flow. The more recent Porsche designs such as Carerra GT and 911 series feature smooth and conformal lines from the nose stagnation point on back, for the best penetration.

I'm not good with posting pictures, but will try and put one up.

Basically, I'd like to consolidate all drag and turbulence-makers such as turn signal lenses, headlights, etc. into streamlined and conformal locations, and have one cooling inlet at the stagnation point, rather than separate intake holes here and there. In other words, as little form drag as possible, although bug splatter and rock chips are a given that eliminate any laminar flow. Turbulent but attached flow seems possible, though, with efficient contour.