View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #59 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I can recall 2 instances of my parents getting rear ended, or nearly so in one of them.

The first one, my mom was at a downhill stop light in Colorado during a snowy day, and saw in the rearview a car coming in too fast. She knew being rear ended was unavoidable so she moved as close to the vehicle in front as she dared to minimize damage; it worked, the car barely had a scratch on the front and the car in front of her was nearly unscathed.

Another time, my dad came to a stoplight on a highway with a 55 mph speed limit. He stopped, and in the rear view saw a semi barreling in way too fast, so he cursed a bit and pulled off into the turn lane. The semi's front bumper stopped a few feet in front of our front bumper, good thing he was in the other lane.

Both times disaster was averted by paying attention to surroundings. In the second story, I'd have likely been killed had my dad not reacted as he did. But having a margin for error in the worst case scenario is always preferrable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.