View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Instead of signing a petition that will likely accomplish nothing, have y'all thought about, I don't know, just reducing your gasoline usage...?

Organized petitions with specific goals can be usefull if documented, signed in person, distributed to news and then presented to the legislating bodies. I did my small part at a fair getting them to install (or should I say reenable) ventilation in their exhibition building, a couple hundred signitures with phone and addy plus a little blurb in the local news made it happen once the petition was presented to the board. It was amazing how the we can't turned around fast, (but this was a very small inexpensive issue)

I would rather see that petition have some additional verbage to reduce the price of gasoline by removing more of the speculation, adding more regulation (of the right kind in the right places), more public ownership of oil resources directly, mainly in cases where the companies have viable wells purchased for the purpose of capping them. I say if you have a fully productive well, without massive environmental issues and you don't want to pump it for 5 years or even 10, perhaps the mineral rights should go away. Motivation to keep good wells running and bad can go on the open market.

And ESPECIALLY to offer cars that get higher fuel economy, allow lighter cars to be legal and to advance alternative fuels, be it electric, CNG, syth or whatever. A requirement to store all CNG and make it illegal to just gas the CNG except during emergencies might force the hand to find uses for the "excess" stuff that just isn't profitable enough to process.

We complain about cars and emissions yet enough CNG in the US alone goes up in smoke without being utilized to power approx 800,000 cars for a year. (and that is just the documented figures which are guesses) May not seem like much to you but 1.5% of cars seems significant enough. Heck even if that "Waste" could be used in coal fired plants to offset their massive pollution somewhat.

What we need is a force independent of vested interests to do what everyone needs but no one wants to do, even if there is a cost associated.

Sadly what we need is rarely what we do because it might hurt someones profit. But that is exactly what needs to happen, truth and frank talk and direct changes and research.