Thread: New belly pan
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
So, the results are in from my 2557mi. test of my belly pan. I also removed the roof rails this spring so any improvement from that will factor in. I realize that there are far to many variables to be really accurate, but nevertheless, I saw significant improvement in my mileage numbers on this trip. Overall mileage was up 6.2% from my last 2 long trips. Tank mileage and SG mileage numbers were up consistently. I had no more heating issues from the exhaust, even climbing some very steep grades in 95*F temp., although I did have to remove my upper grill block for a little while to keep the engine cool. I was fine on all but the worst hills though. No problems with anything coming loose. We were loaded heavy, so the slope on the pan was down at the back 1-1.5 inches which didn't help I'm sure. Still, I think that it's safe to assume a 3-5% improvement from reduced drag. I don't see a lot of highway miles, most of the year so it will take a long time to pay for itself, but it was nice to see some improvement. I put the pics. of the completed pan in my album and the link above works now. I always value your feed back.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puddleglum For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-13-2010), dmac257 (10-04-2010), mpg_numbers_guy (02-18-2018), MrMiata (11-16-2010)