View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #179 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Well, it was impromptu mod time tonight. On the way home I decided I had enough keying off and decided it was time for a kill switch. When I got home, I grabbed my electrical diagrams and found the crankshaft position sensor wire off the ECU.

I snipped it and soldered on wires.

Brought the wires up through the shifter boot and soldered on a normally closed momentary switch that interrupts the crankshaft position sensor signal.

For now, I just taped it on. I'm not sure where I really want it yet, but this looks like a good spot. I can reach it with my thumb, but its not really in the way if I grab the shifter.

I tried it out a few times in the driveway. It works great. I do think I want to put another switch in parallel with it to make an override for when other people drive the car so they don't have to worry about killing the engine.
So, I see this becoming more and more of a concern with people who have kill switches... why not just mount it somewhere near the key?

It's a place that only you would ever reach while driving, so no chance of someone else knocking/using it, or damaging anything, etc.

Those plastic pieces around your steering column come off fairly easily, usually, and it'd be a great place to mount it where it won't get bumped/used accidentally.