View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #68 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
filling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmorgan View Post
ok, typical new guy question here: would keeping the airflow attached until further down or around the car be better or worse? for instance, in the picture of the NB showing separation and turbulence behind the front fender, and again at the crest of the rear fender, and at the base of the rear glass in that large "box" area that pretty much IS the rear of the car. Would keeping that air attached be better or worse for fuel economy. Or instead would filling that area somehow to relieve the low pressure and "bubble" being dragged along help more?

I think i can figure out how to help keep it attached if i just know if it's beneficial to do so. I don't need downforce, i need slipstreams.

also wonder what the reynolds number for this is. I was trying to use the flow illustrator just to see what there is to see.
If the 'filling' respects the parameters for the teardrop taper,it will 'solve' the separation problem,move the final separation point all the way back,increase base pressure,and lower drag.
If you'll take a look at the thread for the Chrysler Airflow,you'll see how they cleaned up these areas,and you'll also see a resemblance to the KDf ( Strength Through Joy ) Beetle which emerged a couple years after the Airflow,which suffers all the problems of the Airflow.