View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #70 (permalink)
Tweety
Out of my mind, back in 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Hermie is a kid who freaked out on lift. I think he's been educated now. But it sure was entertaining.

I've had several and still do have a Bug. I can wind it out as fast as it'll go and there is no way, no how that it is lifting to the point of rotation or even loss of control due to lift. Now, since so many of them are OLD, it is entirely possible to lose control due to worn chassis components.

If you want to pursue windshield lips be my guest. I'm just saying, I've tested them and they do nothing. I'm sorry you don't like that result. Redo the test yourself and/or recruit 100 others to do it too. It'll still fail because the principle is bunk.

If cheering for the failed is what you want, there is a lot of that on HHO forums...
I can however personally vouch for the fact that in terms of aerodynamics, the bug in it's original shape can indeed lose control... It's never going to do it with the stock engine though... And since the bug I experienced it with didn't have all the stock chassie components either, I doubt that was the issue...

I have no idea though if it was beacuse of lift or any of the other interesting aero phenomenons that occur if you hurtle something down the road at stupid speeds...

The bug in question has been "upgraded" with a 350 bhp engine built on a transporter engine block... It has since sprouted a bunch of fins to keep it planted...