Thread: Hi from Texas!
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
phunky.buddha
Blow stuff up

S2000 - '03 Honda S2000
Team Honda
90 day: 24.42 mpg (US)
Yup, I love my Hondas- but I still drive a Nissan and a Toyota too. Now that I have 5 posts, time to unleash the picture flood....

Quick picture story of the Civic that I used to drive and am parting out now... rebuilt the entire drivetrain and converted to manual instead of buying a new car. 3 engine builds later, I decided to retire the car. It did get over 30mpg on the highway, ran high 12s in the quarter mile with a full interior (and no weird outer body stuff, love the sleepers), and destroyed quite a few Vettes, Cobras, Mustangs, turbo Civics etc on the highway... not that I advocate doing stuff like that anymore.

Engine 1: died because of a mis-shift oops...

Engine 2: died because of bad clearance specs from the piston supplier...

Engine 3: died because of an incompetent tuner <- most pissed about this one since I went all out on the build

13:1 compression on pump gas was a LOT of fun.

Never finished the head though... we were on track to put down 260whp all motor on 93 octane, daily driven.

Fun 1G+ sticky helpers:

A little banged up:

Fun 1G+ stoppers:

Tight fit:

That was the fun all out Civic....

This was the "Ghetto-Rex"

Three different wheels, weirdo paint job, tweed interior- but I paid $1600 for it, drove it to death for months while the white sedan was up on a lift, and parted it out for $3200 less than a year later.

Oh yeah, I threw it on the dyno for kicks... the engine was pretty beat:

Here's the tow vehicle:

Yeaaaaaaaah... not good for fuel economy when you have only a half inch of clearance around your tires inside the fenders. Awesome for traction though, and for embarrassing Miatas in the twisties.

20mpg with my foot on the floor every day, and 18mpg towing 4000lb trailers on the highway at 85mph. Gotta love it.

Now:

Yup, had to do it:

Stock setup on a hot day:

Not too shabby... has a K&N FIPK on it now:

Gets about 24mpg average, 22mpg really abusing it around town, 27mpg in a flat 70mph cruise, and 29mpg while running 100mph from town to town and drafting people. Yup, faster = better mpg.

I think that's enough picture diarrhea for now- maybe it'll give a bit of insight to what I'm all about. A little anyway.