Thread: Bourke Engine
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
You mean something like this:
Lotus Engineering Omnivore concept

Not sure if their concept is a functional design or not though.
Being retired gives me the time to read many different sources of information about engine developments.

I think I linked the utube video of my fixed displacement prototype running on 120 PSI compressed air.

Closed cylinders and pistons will beat turbines as long as you do not have to use reciprocation to achieve the sealed expansion chamber.

A piston and cylinder is the best configuration for expansion engines since it has the largest volume for surface area of the cylinder.

Another unbeatable advantage of circular cylinders and pistons is as they heat up, their tolerances remain fairly constant.

These were my basic understandings when I started the process of patenting a non reciprocating piston in cylinder engine.

After 40 years of studying engines, I have not found a better configuration, and modern machining technology makes the cost of building this type of engine very cost effective.

It was not cost effective when you had to manually machine a 95 pound chunk of nickel steel into a single cylinder which weighed only 6.5 pounds, and you needed 7 or more of those cylinders per engine.

With modern investment casting the cost factor becomes insignificant.

regards
Mech