View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
McTimson
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 39.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
For the record, I've made the same type of mistake, but nobody got hurt. I was driving my wife's automatic. My left foot went to depress the clutch, which didn't exist. But the brake pedal is wide so it is in the same place as the clutch. I came to a screeching stop. My wife thought we were rear-ended. However, I was lucky because we were driving slow and no one was following close enough to rear-end us.

CarloSW2
I did the same thing a few months ago. I was about to go down a big hill on the highway, and wanted to shift to neutral in our automatic Yaris, and my left foot naturally pressed down. Scared the **** out of both of us, until I realized that I didn't have to do anything with my feet to shift to neutral. Just a force of habit from driving a manual for too long.

Anyway, I'm not too surprised at the results so far. The floor mat being stuck is a serious issue, no matter how easy it is to fix, but the accelerator problems sounded like BS. There were a lot of news stories about crashes and accidents for a few weeks while the story was hot, and then it died down. Even with Toyota issuing the 'recalls', you would think there would still be plenty of people with more accidents if it was an actual problem with the pedals.