View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The motor isn't even in the car yet, that comes in a couple of weeks. I just got the motor back from the machine shop and I have to do the brakes and a few other things before I can install it. I plan on running the stock carb along with all the stock exhaust and bias ply white walls and all for some time to see what it got stock. The only test I know was the Mobil "Economy run" in 1959 where they got something like 26 mpg average with the car on a 1400 mile trip. Pretty impressive but with removing some of the obvious mph robbers like the four blade steel fan and the worse exhaust manifold known to man, I would think I can make some big jumps in the efficiency.

The carb was just a bonus, the machine shop had it and my brother (he is handling the machine shop and motor building for me) called me to ask me if I had ever heard of the carb. I was thrilled to hear that it was available for purchase and at a killer price! I could make a number of hundred bucks right now on ebay with it. But I really want to see if it works as claimed.

Brian
I ran radials on my 37 Ford coupe (bone stock otherwise with mechanical brakes). Bought them from Costco, they were the proper size for a Toyota Rav 4.

If you really want to get up in the mileage, ditch the bias ply tires. Probably good for at least 10% mileage improvement and the handling and braking will be dramatically better.

Use tubes if you have to.

regards
Mech