View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Olympiadis
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
And it verifies that how?
Oh I see now that your goal was clearly to discredit my original post.
You have picked out the other side of the coin, - the part that your posted link definitely does not verify.

None of the information found at any of the links either of us has posted even allude to increased fuel mileage in a road-going vehicle.

What the information does show is that when/if more power is needed, then cooler air is the way to go.
It also shows that intake air temperature and water content inversely affect the burn rate of the fuel.

No disrespect intended, but if you think this discredits what I posted, then it seems to me that you are confusing engine fuel efficiency (BSFC) with vehicle fuel efficiency.
Brake specific fuel consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are bent on discrediting that one part of my post, then please do it via controlled testing as I suggested, because your links do not.

I will grant that given a multitude of variables and different states of starting conditions, that there will necessarily be times when, even at very light loads, vehicle fuel efficiency will not increase by increasing the intake air temperature over ambient.

Assuming this isn't a straw to pick due to something personal against me, I have to conclude some sort of misunderstanding.

Are you suggesting any of the following?

a. The BSFC is directly linked to vehicle fuel efficiency.

b. A variable like "air temp" will either increase or decrease vehicle fuel efficiency no matter the loading conditions (type of use of the vehicle).

c. Intake air temperature does not affect the burn rate of the fuel.

d. Warmer intake air will slow the burn rate of the fuel.

e. There is no need to match fuel burn rate to the loading of the engine.

I just want to be clear on where you stand before possibly taking a wrong turn here on this site.