View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
ConnClark
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
The purpose of this thread is whether a warm air intake improves the fuel economy of a diesel. I cannot find any scientific studies that indicate that one will under any circumstance. I'm not trying to attack you personally but the only evidence I can find (both theoretical and experimental) points to the contrary.

An engine having its efficiency manipulated by intake air temperatures can't tell whether its on a test stand or in a vehicle. Unless conducted in a controlled blind study over a significant number of tests, over a period of time, and with a large number of tests subjects, road tests are not real proof that something works because you can't duplicate the conditions. A test stand allows repeatability and precise measurements of conditions and results which is why they are used in scientific studies.

for a.
An engine operating in a set of conditions that improves its efficiency does have a direct impact on the mileage that a road going vehicle can achieve.
That said I can get better mileage out of a 1912 steam tractor than I can out of a geo metro if I want to providing I'm driving both vehicles for the comparison.

for b.
yes it can

for c.
No, air temperature does effect the burn rate of the fuel.

for d.
No, warm air tends to increase the burn rate of the fuel.

for e.
optimal burn rate for a diesel is determined by rpm of the engine, the quantity of fuel injected, and the ratio of the connecting rod length to the crank throw not the load on the engine.

Now tell me isn't the limiting factor on an atomized fuel droplet's burn rate determined by the number of O2 molecules it passes by while burning?