Thread: Steve's Intro
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
SteveP
EcoModding Lurker

Steve's Intro

Hi,

I'm in the SF Bay Area and looking to do an EV conversion in the (perhaps not so) near future and because of my range requirements (30 miles at 70 mph) I am considering aero mods (along with rolling resistance mods) to help achieve it. Yes, I'll need Lithiums to come down a bit in price, too, but that's happening. In the meantime I'm trying to learn everything I can about car aerodynamics--fortunately I have a bit of a head start since I know a little about aerodynamics from rocketry.

For now, I've just finished reading Road Vehicle Aerodynamics by A. J. Scibor-Rylski, the only book on vehicle aerodynamics my local college library has--it's quite good and worth a read. I'm looking for Hucho and the other "classics" and am reading various SAE papers to see what can be gleaned from them. Answer: plenty!

Haven't decided on a donor car yet--and won't until I have a better handle on the aerodynamics. I also plan to go visit an EV1 and hopefully take some measurements--there's a lot we can learn from that car. I've also written a simulator (along the lines of the EV calculators on the net) that helps figure out contributions to drag from rolling resistance and aerodynamics at different speeds, etc. Learned a lot from that, too.

In the meantime, I'll add comments to other threads where I think I've found something that may be helpful....

--Steve