Thread: Steve's Intro
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
SteveP
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks guys...

SVOboy: Re vehicle: Light and aerodynamic. An EV1 would do just fine :-)

I've scoured vehicle specs for months. I know what the lighter gliders will be (Swift clones, Tercel, etc.) and have chased down all the CdA numbers I can find (not that they're necessarily accurate). What I'm now wrestling with is what style (sedan, fastback, hatch, etc.) I can most easily mod to get a CdA that will work for me (5 sq ft would be nice--EV1 was 4 sq ft). The problem with modding a sedan (or coupe) is that boattailing the "upper" part (the rear glass) would potentially screw up the trunk. The problem with the hatch is that you have to really extend the whole rear end. I haven't looked at the older fastbacks yet to see what's available and what might work. I would really like something without a trunk since I often haul stuff that fits with a hatch that doesn't fit in a trunk.

Darin mentioned the Honda Insight, but the problem is they're darned expensive around here--more than my total budget, unless I get really really lucky like Red did (I've looked and am not holding my breath).

Also, I'm mindful of the fact that it may just be a lot easier and cheaper (if this process takes long enough) to spring for a couple more battery cells to extend the range than it will be to do the aero mods to accomplish the same thing.

The newer cars are really coming down in Cd, but the A's are getting bigger and the weights are increasing to ridiculous proportions as well (they'd be out of my price range as well, of course). It is very frustrating.....

--Steve