View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Phantom
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I think it would be easier to use two motors and run one to the front and one to the back. Using the motor as the drive shaft for the rear end putting the power into a differential, that will deal with the side to side wheel speed differences for the back. The front would be the same but would need a FWD trans or something to deal with the wheels turning and the differential.

Then have the controller(s) keep the average speed of the rear and front with in say 5%. The gearing would need to be the same or close to make it easier to deal with if you want it 4WD and more programing would need to be done if you want it closer to a AWD system.

Then if you wanted with more work you could go with a FWD/RWD hybrid. What I mean by this is you could have a combination of driving forces depending on the conditions. Since the motors are independent of each other the rear could have the motor optimized for highway speeds and front for city. That would be accomplished by selectively choosing the right gearing for each condition and placing a logic circuit between the controllers saying if below xMPH FWD if between x and x MPH FWD/RWD and if over X RWD (TPS% might be good to include in there also).

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG