View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Euro, Aussy and most other regions in the world have less of a focus on Nox output, a CAT is not really needed so much during lean burn events and is NOT damaged by them either, contrary to popular belief.

And lean burn isn't exactly the right word, chrysler likely has mild lean burn in certain situations, such as during decel and under very light loading, here in the US most auto manufacturers have wanted to have mild lean burn under certain situations to improve FE but our government will not allow any form of lean burn, even during decell if the Nox is elevated as a percentage. Here the motor has to cut off altogether or run at stoich, in europe the mix is allowed to go leaner during light throttle due to the lack of very specific Nox as a percentage req.

Europe especially years ago did not have such an ideotic Nox requirement. As such if the vehicle goes a little above stoich the CAT is not affected, Nox goes up a bit as a percentage and fuel use would go down.

All this said, I am going off what I was told over 10 years ago, Europe may well have adopted BS regulations similar to the US focusing more on percentage than the actual amount of emissions.

Also Chrysler may not have used any lean burn but if the past announcments from GM are an indication, a lean burn or more appropriately "an agressive engine tune" is usually offered to nations that don't have the USA like emission requirements. If you can find some of their new world platform announcements for motors you will usually see a brief blip talking about lean burn, usually just one sentence.

Overseas MPGs or Ltr/km are more important than here and the auto companies do exploit relatively minor tuning changes to run the ragged edge of what the regulations state must be there. If the regulations there allow a bit more Nox, believe me the auto companies will exploit that to have the best FE for that region.

Cheers
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Hi,

Genuinely interested and not having a go, but why would European versions of US vehicles have lean burn ? Euro cars have to have cats like US ones so not sure why (or even if) we would be blessed with this tech ?

AFAIK Euro Chrysler Caravan petrol models are identical to the US ones. We do get Diesel ones too, which most people buy. We also get Diesel Grand Cherokees and 300Cs - I can count the Hemi ones I have seen in the UK on the fingers of 2 fingers.

Cheers