View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
EdKiefer
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
Thats for all the input!!

My ECU dosn't have any knock sensor capability so I only have my eyes and eyes to detect any knock. Ive run as high as 32 deg before I started to question my luck and pulled it back to 30 for now (29 in my picture). The rest of my timing map is fine, its generally backed up by a lot of others out there for the 1jz, just the 1500 range is always all over the place, and as I spend a lot of time cursing at 1500 id like to get it right.

The 8:5 compression and 91 oct will slow down he burn, so I can few a couple more degrees on for that. My 1500 rpm is around 70 km/h if I recall correctly, maybe closer to 80, its not running 1500 at highway speeds but my county cruising range is right at 1500-2000. While not extremely tall, 2000 on the highway is a lot lower than then 3200 my last did.

I do have a wide band set up that lets me adjust the target A/F, right now I've set it for 15.3:1, and tuned my maps to around 14.7:1 and let the closed loop correct for it, are noticeable improvements found by leaning it out much more? 17.5:1 always seemed like a lean burn condition to me, will a stock engine take this kinda tune?

When you say you can be into the 35 to 45 range before losing efficiency are you talking specifically at 1500? At 1500 everything moving slower than usual so I know the timing wont be as far forward as 2000+

If anyone has some thoughts on my map, please let me know, and if it would be helpful to post the entire map Id definitely like to if someone can give me their input
How much timing are you running at idle and 1k rpm . How many maps are there between 1k and 2k (map ever 100, 200, 500 etc) rpm ?
Does This turbo engine have a EGR working , that will be a factor .
I think 35 deg at 1500-2000 "probably" be ok even without EGR operating but needs testing .

With out factory knock sensor you could use external knock sensor or microphone listening devise and ride around an test. Just make sure you pick warm day with engine warmed up good . Another way if your careful (no boost or loads) is to use 87 fuel and see when timing induces a lit ping at 1500. then back off a bit and use 91 .
Thats only if you really know what light ping sounds like and your exhaust/engine is quiet so you can hear good .
The Following User Says Thank You to EdKiefer For This Useful Post:
Meph (07-20-2010)