View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
ecofreak
EcoModding Lurker

New driver, new ecomodder

I'm on my way to getting a drivers license, and hope to be one of the first eco-modding enthusiasts in my generation. In my upper middle class neighborhood, most people drive walking distances, believing that a big car with a big engine is the only way to get around safely and efficiently. Our town has it's share of public transportation, cyclists (one of which is me) and dignified pedestrians, but we still need to cull the herd of people driving oxymorons they pass off as good to the environment, or safe. Ford Escape hybrid, anyone?

All I want is to be that feather on the camel's back, bringing down a culture oblivious, oppressive, and ignorant of the environment. Hopefully many of you can help guide me into good habits and give me direction on my future projects.

Although I'm more of a cyclist, cars are unavoidable to me, and I hope to make my life with one as efficient as possible. I plan on becoming an engineer in the future, and I also seek guidance on what direction I should take.

For my first question, what kind of car/cars should I buy? I'd prefer diesels, from an economy standpoint and because they can be converted to run on vegetable/fryer oil. Makes and models (and years) would be nice.