View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #111 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dcb -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
problem is lack of comprehensive testing (and lack positive results). It always seems to come down to unscientific anecdotalness, seat of the pants baloney, or invalid assumptions made during testing, or some other form of mpg stone soup (i.e. the driver was simultaneously fixed and the car tuned up).

carlosw2 was pretty adamant that it helped on a diesel, and there's a hundred odd truckers that have shelled out $4000 to $14000 for an hho system, but that's a stupid amount to pay for a couple electrodes, so I'm not real eager to try it on my diesel, but might if I ever figure out mpg feedback on it first.
That's totally fair. I definitely think there's a "kernel of truth" to the HHO stuff. What I like to claim is that they've proven it in the lab, but not in the real world. This was the lab experiment that I was hoping would pan out, but the technology was sold and it just faded away :

Green Car Congress: ArvinMeritor / MIT Plasma Fuel Reformer
Green Car Congress: ArvinMeritor to Sell its Emissions Technologies Group

For me, the conundrum of HHO on gassers is the claim that it requires you to spoof the 02 sensor. From my understanding, spoofing the 02 sensor can get you MPG improvements all by itself because you are tricking the ECU/PCM into lean-burn. However, this comes at the cost of higher emissions, aka NOx. That's a show-stopper for me because I feel like I am cheating.

I've pretty much given up on HHO because I'm not a chemist/electrical engineer and I'm too lazee.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society