View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thalass
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
Cougar in a Motorcycle

Hey folks. I've been gearing up to start a 72v motorcycle conversion. I have been intending to buy an altrax 7234 or 7245, but JohnStan's posts in the AEVA forums have got me thinking about the OpenRevolt. Partly because it is apparently cheaper than an altrax, but also because I like building electronics!

I have a few questions though.

How big is a typical openrevolt controller? Space (and weight) will be limited on my bike. The 7245 is 8.44 x 2.80 x 5.75 inches (the 7234 is smaller of course).

How does the controller handle 72v? I imagine it shouldn't have any trouble. Would it be possible to use lower-spec components for 72v? I'm not sure what the current requirements will be, yet.

And lastly: Being open source, I guess the controller is extremely customisable, but how do you connect to it, and what's the software like to use? I run ubuntu on my laptop, so i'm not too bad with command line and that sort of thing.

Sorry if these questions are obvious. I'm still searching through the hundreds of threads here to find the answers, but I thought I should ask too. Thanks!