View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Worst mileage for me recently due to local temps exceeding 100 on many days.

AC kills mileage.

VX is superb at DFCO use it to anticipate any unwanted stops. 5th,4th,3rd downshifts to maintain DFCO when slowing down.

Pulse & glide the AC, in particular whenever you are cruising and especially in DFCO, you want to go max air, recirculate, and max fan. It will raise your DFCO threshold RPM but you can compensate by downshifting to keep engine speed above 1300 RPM.

Accelerate briskly (about the traffic flow rate normally) and get it into lean burn cruise fairly quickly. Do not use AC on acceleration.

In some cases it may be better to just bite the bullet and get on the limited access higher speed roads, if you have to use AC. This strategy minimises the time you are using AC, while slower stop a go situations increase the total AC power consumption.

You live fairly close to me and probably have already experienced the extreme heat this summer. At 90-93 degrees I can tolerate no AC, but when it hits 106 here I either use AC in the car or just ride my motorcycle, which gets close to 90 MPG.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
SuperHatch (08-04-2010)