View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
Shadetree: Watching the scangauge, at low speeds (<40 mph) it is very hard to get my automatic to go into fuel cut. It's also downright impossible to get it to fuel cut with the A/C on, but that's rare that I use it anyway. But when the engine does go into fuel cut, the electric motor is going to have to move the weight of the car AND turn over the (not running) engine it might be a bit much power to ask of it, which is why guessing from the scangauge, the motor will still spin up to accelerate but be using very little fuel. Even with the the throttle closed I still don't always see fuel cut unless I'm decelerating. I can go down a mountain and will gain speed and hover around 100 mpg. This is true from about 35 mph all the way up to 75 mph. Even though I'm gaining speed, the motor has to use more fuel to spin the motor up to X RPM. It might take some getting used to, but I do plan to have 2 independent throttles. This also has the nice ability that anyone can drive the car, I'll just have a switch that I can turn the E-drive off.
On the engine not going into fuel cut, it could simply be a matter of adjusting your throttle position sensor so it reads 0 when the throttle is closed.

I realize it'd have to move the vehicle + turn the engine, but even with just extending your coasts, it may be worth it.

Assuming your Subie wouldn't get too pissed about being turned into a 2wd, I like the idea mentioned of using your rear (or front, depending on ease of application) as the drive axle for just the electric motor. But your AWD transfer case would likely get pissed off about it. Where is your tranny located, under the hood, or under the floor? Ie, is it a front wheel drive car with auxillary prop shaft to the rear, or is it a rear wheel drive with transfer case sending power to the front? Only Subie I ever saw was an older Legacy, and it had a transverse mounted engine like a front wheel drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.